November 6, 2020
There continues to be an increase in the number of COVID-19 cases across our Nation, State and locally in Buncombe County. Over the past two weeks we had two additional team members test positive for the virus but now fully recovered and back at work. There has been an increase in residents and team members with symptoms of COVID-19, but test results for most are coming back negative for COVID-19 which indicates that seasonal colds, allergies and gastrointestinal viruses are increasing in the area.
Since September the percentage of all COVID-19 tests performed in Buncombe County that are positive has risen from 2.3% to 4.7%.
Please continue to take precautions to reduce your risk of acquiring the COVID-19 virus:
- If you are sick, being tested for COVID-19, have been in direct contact with someone being tested or think you have been exposed to someone infected with the virus, please stay home, and follow up with your doctor and Givens Estates (Social Worker or Campus Nurse) by telephone for specific directions regarding your situation.
- Wear a mask covering your nose and mouth in public or if others enter your home; wash your hands with sanitizer at least 65% alcohol-based or with soap and water for 20 seconds and wait and physically distance at least 6 feet from others. Make sure when you visit with family and friends in your home everyone follows these precautionary measures.
- ·Although we currently permit in home visitation and overnight guests, please use discretion by limiting these visits since they increase your risk of contracting the virus.
- If you are planning to receive overnight visitors in your home, please contact your Social Worker at least 7 days in advance of arrival to arrange for their visit. Remember guests are not permitted in any public spaces on campus except to travel to and from their vehicle and the resident’s home.
- Travel Outside Asheville (overnight): We strongly recommend you do not travel outside Asheville; but if you do, it is required you check with your Social Worker before leaving and upon returning to campus. You will be required to self-quarantine upon return to Givens Estates for 14 days. Travel to a vacation home where there is no outside social interaction will probably not require self-quarantine upon return.
If the number of Givens Estates residents and team members with COVID-19 increases, the percent of tests positive rate increases locally, and/or local, state or other governmental mandates are enacted, campus guidelines may become more restrictive in response. Protecting the health and wellbeing of residents and team members continues to be our highest priority.
During the last eight months we have faced unprecedented challenges as a result of the COVID-19 Pandemic. I want to share with you my appreciation and gratitude for your patience, understanding and personal sacrifice during this difficult time. We will continue to face challenges in the weeks and months ahead and I am reassured about what the future holds because of how everyone has demonstrated their caring concern for one another. I am confident that we will continue to move forward positively, continuing to care for one another in anticipation of better days ahead.
John C. Cowan, Jr. Executive Director